Sunday, July 24, 2005

SQ Raffles Class dinner - Gordon Ramsay

SQ Raffles Class dinner - Gordon Ramsay

Not long after that lunch came dinner, this time designed by London's Gordon Ramsay. This was quite nice. We started with several little tasty hors d'oeuvres, such as the "creamed boursin cheese in choux bun," "Chinese-style minced pigeon hoisin mini tart," and "prawn and avocado maki." The boursin cheese was of course my favorite. And how come I keep getting repeats of last night's Sun meal today? (i.e., avocado in sushi?) Strange.

SQ Raffles Class dinner - Gordon Ramsay

Anyway, next up was the "orzo roasted vegetable salad with marinated lobster." Lobster again? The rice (actually, it's rice-shaped pasta, right?) in this salad was pretty good, and I guess I didn't mind the lobster that much. I'm certainly not complaining about anything.

SQ Raffles Class dinner - Gordon Ramsay

Then came the main event, which was "sauteed chicken in red wine sauce with confit of lemon slices, fricassee of peas, mushrooms, and potatoes." I normally don't order chicken (cue Anthony Bourdain: "chicken is for people who don't know what they want to eat"), but this was Ramsay's exclusive creation for SQ, so I went ahead with it.

It was tender and moist, and went well with the potatoes. But nothing really stood out...at least, until I paired it with the lemon slices (reminds me of eating lemon chicken tagine in Morocco). The bitter tartness did bring out a different dimension to it. Too bad I didn't realize that until I had nearly finished the meal.

Finally, I finished the meal with a strong and suprisingly crumbly Surprise Bay cheddar, as well as a very light pandan coconut panna cotta custard. Gotta love SQ business class. This 18 hour non-stop flight to NY is certainly none too painful.

No comments: