Sunday, July 10, 2005

Soup Restaurant, Paragon, Singapore

Chicken

The strange and miselading name is probably the result of some Chinese translation, as this is a Chinese restaurant, not a soup kitchen. But the signature dish, the samsui chicken, is pretty darned good. It's hard to tell from the picture, but the meat (boneless, thank God!) is juicy and tender. Take a piece of chicken, some cucumber slices, a bit of the ginger sauce, and wrap it all in a lettuce leaf, making a light and healthy meal, even though there is quite a bit of oil dripping from the ginger sauce.

Veggies

We ordered the set meal, so it also came with their soup of the day, which was a pork and winter melon soup - good if you like the melon flesh stewed so long that it softens to a pulp like I do. The fish was prepared with only a light soy sauce and scallions to complement; something I enjoyed too. The veggies can be stir fried with sambal sauce, but I've become increasingly turned off by this fermented-shrimp concoction, so the odor of this today was a bit appalling to me.

I'm not a big fan of those boiled peanuts either. I think it's nasty all soft and moist like that - I still prefer the roasted variety. The dessert, a white fungus and ginko nut thing in a light sugary water, was rather tasteless, but apparently that's the way it's supposed to taste. It's not something that I'll get cravings for. But all in all, the samsui chicken was worth coming back for. Again, it was only a light tasting meal...just what was needed today.

No comments: