Saturday, June 04, 2005

Portable Butter


The movie theaters in Singapore are a bit different in that the popcorn comes in "sweet," "salted," and "mixed" (yuck!). Of course, I go for the salted version, but most theaters don't have butter to add to it. So what's my solution? Orville Redenbacher to the rescue!

The microwave "Pour Over Butter" version has these gold packets of liquid butter enclosed, intended for pouring over on the microwave stuff. I take those packets instead to the cinema so that I can butter the popcorn myself. This morning I bought the bottle of "Popping & Topping Buttery Flavor Popcorn Oil" so that I can bring the whole bottle with me to the theater to use at my discretion.

The gold packets are rather disturbingly funny though. The label says they are "Orville's Own Butter Flavored Sauce." Ugh! But I don't want to eat popcorn without butter.

The only cinema in Singapore that does have butter is Lido at Shaw Centre. The theaters are pretty old and stinky, but it's down the street from me, and they have butter. Their concessions stand is outside the theaters, so sometimes I will actually go up there just to buy the buttered popcorn and then go straight home (without a movie).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yuck!
Buttered and salted popcorn?
Absolutely disgusting! :P

Other than that, nice blog.
Singapore is great to hate, but everyone loves to hate Singapore and hates to love Singapore at the same time!