Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Pho 88, San Gabriel, CA


Southern California is allegedly home to one of the largest Vietnamese populations outside Vietnam. And they do serve some mean bowls of pho, fully authentic with each house having its own secret family recipe (although I'm sure the jalapeno slices are a reflection of what is available fresh locally).

I got my usual tai nam gan (rare beef, flank steak, and fatty brisket for extra flavor) and a couple soda chanhs (lemon soda) to wash it down. The broth was pretty good. I was worried at first that this place had changed hands (and thus, recipies), since the last one at this spot on Valley Blvd was actually called Pho 79 instead of Pho 88. Fortunately, it was still just as tasty as I had remembered it, as a rush of relief flowed over me like a warm blanket. (I'm told that the number usually represents something about the family, like the year they emigrated to the US. Or in the case of Pho No 1, that they are simply the best.)

The cool thing is that pho is actually a breakfast dish in Vietnam. Not a bad way to start the day indeed.

No comments: