Monday, May 24, 2010

My First Alphonso Mangoes from India

Alphonso Mangoes

On my first visit to Rajasthan, I was told by my colleagues to get a box of local mangoes to bring home, as they were in season and considered to be some of the best in the world. I failed in that attempt. But tonight, as we were passing through Mustafa in Singapore, we noticed boxes and boxes of Alphonsos available, so we picked out a couple of individual ones to see what the big deal was.

They didn't look like much from the outside: they were stubby and frankly kinda ugly, unlike the slender perky ones from Thailand. But after cutting into the deep orange inside, it was a lot more encouraging. Indeed, the taste of the flesh was rich...so rich that it was almost milky in nature, and of course being extra sweet and juicy too. I now understand what all of the fuss is about, and I like them much more than the Thai version.

Now, I'm not exactly any mango expert, but this has instantly become one of my favorite kinds of fruit. Indeed, I liked it enough to consider going back to Mustafa tomorrow to buy an entire box. It's not cheap, but thus stuff is apparently only in season from April to May, so time is running out.

7 comments:

A said...

They call Alphonso the king of mangoes. Thai mangoes pale in comparison to, generally, all Indian and Pakistani mangoes. Try a couple of the Pakistani ones that come in to season next month, but don't let them ripen too much. They have to be just right for the best flavour.

Blur Ting said...

Oh wow, I must get some too. Now that you've blogged about it, I am pretty sure they will run out even faster!

Unknown said...

Every country boasts that they have the best mango in the world! I have tried a lot and rate the Indonesian's Harum Manis the best.. sweet, creamy & very little fibers.. the best are those ripen on the tree... you must give them a try. They will be in season November & Isetan brings in some. However, the best ones are in Indonesia! Cheers! I enjoy your blog! Stevezx...

Unknown said...

wow, this is so weird to me! i'm indian and have only ever eaten alphonso and pakistani mangoes!

Blur Ting said...

I bought a box (12 inside) and wow, they are good. Only thing is, be very careful when you buy so many as they ripen very quickly. Too quickly they are beginning to rot even with refrigeration.

Anonymous said...

been following your blog for the longest time! added you to my yummy blogroll

sheenuhbaby said...

you should try Philippine mangoes. They're the best mangoes for me next to Thai mangoes. :)