Saturday, August 24, 2019

Ura Hototogisu at 100AM in Tanjong Pagar, Singapore

Sawara Shoyu Ramen

The Hototogisu folks have opened up a fifth outlet in Singapore, this time at 100AM (100 Tras Street #01-01). As usual, they try to feature something different at each location. For this one, it was a broth based on Kyoto sawara fish and genmaicha. Genmaicha, really? This one I had to try. I went for their shoyu version, which featured a dab of smoked umeboshi rather than the oyster paste that they use at Great World City.

To be honest, I couldn't even taste the genmaicha in there. And the fish taste was rather subtle too, as the broth was dominated by a sour tinge instead (and I hadn't even mixed the umeboshi in yet). I suppose that I did like the broth, as well as each of the individual ingredients. But there wasn't much harmony with the noodles. Maybe I should've tried his "oriental" bowl featuring a Thai-inspired spicy sauce instead.

My bigger worry is that my recent visits to Hototogisu have been disappointing, particularly at their Great World City outlet. I'm not sure if that's because I've blown it up too much in my mind or if the Ajisen folks let their standards slip, but maybe I should go back to the original clam or oyster versions that I liked so much. I am kinda curious about how the salmon-based one out at Jewel Changi tastes though.

No comments: