Saturday, November 04, 2017

Owen Seafood at Turf City in Singapore

Steamed Korean Pomfret

I'm not sure what took me so long to come back here, but I was at the Grandstand today and figured that I'd go check out those big tanks of live seafood up on the third floor again. The fishmonger, Unique Seafood, has a process set up where they can haul your selections into one of the neighboring restaurants for cooking, kinda like the Seafood Market in Bangkok or Noryangjin Market in Seoul. I'd been to Ah Yat many years ago, so I opted for the other one, Owen, today (200 Turf Club Road #03-03, 6875-1895).

I grabbed that nice-looking Korean turbot above, as well as some white Vietnamese clams. I should've done a better job of estimating the size of my fish though, as that thing was a whopping S$60 (US$45). Sure, I got value out of it, as it was deliciously fresh and tender, flapping away just minutes before heading into the kitchen (and seriously, Cantonese steaming is just one of the best ways to appreciate fish). But had I known that I was going to leave this place with such a big hole in my wallet, I would have picked a cheaper fish.

1 comment:

ClearTear said...

Consider not too ex as compare to other restaurant, sometimes a fish can cost $100 alone. And a lot are by weigh.. you won't know the price till it comes to the table.