Monday, May 15, 2017

Ataúlfo and Haden Mangoes from North America

From left: Haden mangoes from Canada's Monarch and Ataúlfo mangoes from Mexico

We randomly stopped at a supermarket here in Vancouver yesterday where I came across these mango varieties that I hadn't seen before. The small yellow ones in front were called Ataúlfo, and I believe they were from Mexico. They weren't as good as alphonsos nor the Burmese ones I'm used to getting, but at least they were more flavorful than the bigger Haden (or is it Tommy Atkins?) mangoes behind it. The latter were from the US, I believe, and were meaty but only slightly rich and otherwise unremarkable. Incidentally, this was all from a Korean-American chain called H Mart, so they had lots of Korean goods like that onion juice below. I didn't buy it, but I can't help but wonder about both the taste and intent behind it.

Chunho Onion Juice

No comments: