Monday, August 29, 2016

W Hotpot in Tanjong Pagar, Singapore

Grouper Hot Pot

That probably doesn't look like much above. I didn't think it was going to be very good either when they first brought it out. But it turned out to be a lot better than I thought it would be. See, this hot pot shop opened two months ago, with some kind of thinly butterflied cuts of grouper being their specialty (81 Tanjong Pagar Road, 8439-7770). I had never heard of such a thing, but they had these cheap single-serving S$10 (US$7.35) lunch deals, so I figured here was my chance to get a taste of it.

I was happy after I put one of those delicately sliced cuts of fish in my mouth. The fish was lean, but it was also very delicate and went well with the savory (if heavily shallot-dependent) broth. Indeed, I liked it enough that I'd be willing to come back for this, perhaps after a night of drinking given that they are open until 4:30 AM. If I understood it correctly, grouper hot pot is originally from southern China, particularly Guilin and Yunnan. There also seems to be a shop in Taipei that I'm now curious to try next time I'm up there.

No comments: