Monday, December 22, 2014

My First Taste of Chicharron Preparados

Chicharron Preparados

This is the last thing that I would have expected from a fruit stand in front of Target at Oakridge Mall in San Jose, especially one that is merely named "Splash Fruits." But it turned out that it was a Mexican fruit stand, serving everything from fruit cups with hot sauce to elotes, as well as this: chicharron preparados, which I had never heard of before.

Based on the name as well as a big pile of crackling things that I saw in the corner, I asked if those were pork skins. Not quite. It looks like traditionally this dish would indeed be done with huge pork skins, but these guys used chicharron de harina, or a fried piece of flour made to mimic pork skin. That didn't mean that it wasn't without pork skin though. See those curly white things on top? They were pickled pork skins.

It looked better than it tasted. I admittedly wasn't a huge fan of those rubbery pork skins, and despite all of the cheese, cream, and salsa on it, it really didn't carry the punch that I hoped it would. I assume though that this dish has so much variation from shopkeeper to shopkeeper that I merely got a boring version of it, and perhaps I would like it from other shops. I did kinda like this guy's tangy spicy mangoneada though.

No comments: