Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken

Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken

It's funny; when I first found this place on Google Maps today, the name sounded familiar. Wasn't this the place that I was going to go to when I'm in Memphis next month? Yes, it was, and they have since expanded to Austin. Well, I needed something quick and nearby given that it was raining, so I still came over. To my surprise, they actually had hosts to seat you. KFC this definitely was not.

And that showed in the chicken too. It was so much better than KFC, with fresh-from-the-fryer juicy chicken with a mildly spicy batter. I gobbled this thing up in no time, including that great slaw and even a side of smoky collard greens. The only letdown was the mac and cheese, which frankly tasted like it came out of a processed Kraft box. But I'll easily come back here again given how good everything else was.

No comments: