Friday, December 06, 2013

The Fry Bread House in Phoenix, Arizona

Red Chili Beef Stew with Fry Bread

Oh man, that was so much better than I expecting it to be. See, the last time I had this Navajo fry bread stuff, it was a bit on the heavy side, and I wasn't really in the mood for that. But being in Arizona, I figured that I had to get some Native American food, and this place (1003 East Indian School Road, 602-351-2345) was en route to my destination.

Now, apparently it's common to eat those fry bread things with various toppings, possibly being folded into a taco of sorts. But that's kinda how I had it when I first tried it, so I tried to find something different here, and I ended up with this red chili beef stew. And this was what came out.

If this photo were taken in Singapore, one would think that it was beef rendang. But the taste blew me away, with just the right amount of spiciness, pairing nicely with that fry bread, the texture and taste of which was strikingly similar to Chinese you tiao, by the way. Awesome. Maybe I should try to come here for breakfast tomorrow before heading to the airport.

3 comments:

Black's Book Of Challenges said...

oh my goodness, seriously~ inspirational!

Unknown said...

what's in the little bottle to the right of the fry bread?

bma said...

Martinelli's apple juice...in a plastic bottle!