Friday, August 09, 2013

Koh Grill & Sushi Bar at Wisma Atria

SHIOK!!! Maki

Hmmm...I'm still scratching my head on this one. See, these guys always seemed to have a line forming when I saw them up at the top of Wisma Atria (435 Orchard Road #04-02, 6836-0609), even at off-hours like 3 PM. Being in a food court, I figured that the line was probably just due to having cheap prices rather than the food necessarily being any good...a bit like that nasty Sushi Tei chain.

But when I kept seeing that line forming, I had to look it up to see what the fuss was, and apparently it was because of this so-called "SHIOK!!! Maki," the former word being Singlish for something that is extremely delicious. Both the photos that I had seen as well as the description sounded terrible though: avocado, unagi, and seared salmon covered in mayo?? Ugh...that sounded like something straight out of Sushi Tei's books indeed!

Nonetheless, I was curious, and fortunately I didn't have to wait in line today given that I was dining solo and there was a seat at the counter available. Still, I ended up waiting 45 minutes for them to bring this darned thing out, and it ended up tasting like I thought it would: excessively rich, and not necessarily in a good way. OK, I liked the mild smokiness from the searing, and one certainly couldn't say that there wasn't any flavor, but that was not worth waiting for.

1 comment:

Food Esteem | Love for Food • Passion for Photography said...

Heard that the taste of shiok maki differ, depending on the time period.. perhaps busy hours? But anyway, mine was good :) Hope your trip again will leave you a better impression :)

http://foodesteem.blogspot.sg/2013/09/koh-grill-sushi-bar.html