Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Claypot Biryani from Zaffran

Chicken Claypot Biryani

No, this isn't biryani week or anything like that. It's just that a colleague mentioned the other day that this place at Maxwell Chambers (32 Maxwell Road #01-04, 6225-5352) had a biryani that sells out just after noon every day. Similar to yesterday, that kind of demand piqued my interest, so we came down here for lunch today to see what it was all about.

The most unique thing about it was that they served it in Chinese claypots, which I suppose was effective, as the grains along the edges were cooked to a nice crisp that I loved scraping off and eating. The meat was tender and the seasonings were fine (gotta love those little chili peppers). But alas, somehow Bismillah still takes the cake in my books.

I nonetheless plan to come back here...not so much for the biryani, but more because of a couple other things that I saw on the menu, including some spicy thing that they called a "chicken bomb," if I remember it correctly. They also had a lamb curry called bhayankar bakra; the menu amusingly states that they will try to get you Indian citizenship if you are able to eat this hot curry. I'm sold!

No comments: