Sunday, July 13, 2008

Steamer's Grillhouse, Los Gatos

Saffron Seafood Risotto

That was a lot better than I thought it would be. I wasn't quite sure of what to expect from a place called Steamers (31 University Ave, 408-395-2722), whose menu looked like it was trying to fancy things up a bit from the more humble seafood places that I'm such a huge fan of. So I was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed every part of the meal here, from the freshness and honesty of the food to the not-as-pretentious-nor-fake-as-I-had-envisioned decor.

Vanilla Bean Creme BruleeFrom start to finish, it all worked. The chowder was extra rich, the risotto was done just right, and the creme brulee was loaded with little vanilla beans. I particularly liked the fact that they had a local fish, petrale sole, on the menu, done in a lemon butter sauce and paired with a coleslaw made hearty by the aroma of little bits of bacon. Thumbs up...I'll happily come back here again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That risotto looks a bit "mushy" to me but I'd still eat it.