Saturday, June 10, 2006

Gumbo and Steak at Handle Bar

Chicken Gumbo

No, I wasn't intentionally trying to get cajun food twice this week. I just wanted somewhere with an open patio to kick back, and figured that Handle Bar would do the trick (and maybe try out the steak in the process). When I saw the gumbo on the menu again though, I had to give it a shot.

It was a bit of a shocker at first when I took my first scoop and found these huge chunks of chicken (complete with hacked-up bones and the annoying little bits as a result). There was no seafood, no okra, and very little rice in here. But all that aside, I have to admit that the stew was decently tasty, thick, and spicy...and in a pretty big bowl too. I just wish that they would have done some of the ingredients a bit differently.

Ribeye SteakAnyway, the main reason I came here was to see if their steaks were any good. I grabbed a ribeye, which turned out to be tastier (and thicker) than I was expecting, although not necessarily anything spectacular either. They also gave some interesting halves of potatoes covered with a bit too much garlic. So while I wouldn't mind coming back to Handle Bar for something else, I'll probably get a steak elsewhere.

No comments: