Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Shayray in Holland V

Shayray in Holland V

I'm not a big fan of South Indian food, so I was told that I might like Shayray, a North Indian / Punjab / Pakistani place in Holland V, which apparently has been in business there for a long time.

I don't know why, but for some reason the kebabs at Shayray were excessively tender - so much that it seemed a bit disturbing (as if they were artificially tender or were not fresh or something). The taste wasn't bad, but the kebabs definitely weren't as good as Bukhara (the above-cited tenderness being the main reason - I'd prefer more of that fire-roasted texture). The vindaloo was edible, albeit sweeter and less spicy than I have had at other places. (Then again, I probably shouldn't order vindaloo at a place like this.)

Still, the food was pretty tasty, and I would not be opposed to returning. But I do hope that Bukhara opens again soon.

No comments: